Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Playtime (For Shane and Hayden)

*Poetry for my younger siblings

Playtime (For Shane and Hayden)

I steal away to the days
That we would run
Stay out and let the sun
Hug us until our skin turned
Golden and our faces
Beamed bright
From her light
And hold it in our bellies
In laughter

Transforming the green of
Grandma’s garden
Into jungles and forests
Beaches, space, and
Wherever place
We wanted to be
I miss make believing
Until we were really believing
That we were on a mission,
And I took pleasure
In searching for hidden treasure
I wish we could play that way forever

When we could transform
Into mad scientists
Making flubber and goo
And also when you
Would take all the left over liquids
At our table and mix up an elixir
and be proud
Even though your mom would say
That’s not allowed

I love your dirty faces
From rolling around
Digging deep into the ground
And how when you would fall
You would just get back up
Like nothing happened at all
Too busy in play
To let a little scrape take away
From your joy

And Manang Joy
Would get your hands
Sticky with sweets
And she would let you
Climb up on a seat
To help her mix up
All the wet things and then all the dry
And watch them through
The oven window rise
Cupcakes and cookies
Frosted and sprinkled goodies
Chocolate for Shaney
And vanilla for Haydie

But now I see you growing
Past my height and
Your maturity starts showing
In your voice
And your face
And we moved on to playing
Video games
Which is okay
Because I love playing too
And the best part
Is its still playing with you
So we stay with the Wii and PS3
Until our eyes tire
Or our play has expired
Because its time for bed
Because your mom said

I still miss running with you
And tumbling to the floor
But all of your energy isn’t
Just for playtime anymore
You have soccer practice,
And karate and baseball
And your limbs grow longer
And you’re getting so tall
And I fear the day when you
Won't need me at all

But no matter what
I hope you always know
That you are my little brothers
And I will always have the time
Or make the time
To share with you in play
Whatever way
You grow to know it

But I will always hold most to
The days we would run
Stay out and let the sun
Hug us until our skin turned
Golden and our faces
Beamed bright
From her light
And hold it in our bellies
In laughter
I’ll keep this with me today and
All our days together after

No comments: