Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Feeling God's Embrace Under the Tuscan Sun"

Today we visited the city of Cortona. Which can be known as where the movie Under the Tuscan Sun was filmed, with the heart of waht we imagine Italy to be all around, from the accordian player that greeted us at our descent off our bus. Or the AMAZING gelato and grinate and Pizza's that were enormous with interesting and mind blowing toppings and flavors; the beautiful open plaza and courtyard and the narrow alley ways where people hang their clothing to dry and cats and dogs litter the streets. It was just breath taking!

But what was most beautiful about Cortona was the center of Religion that it had in its foundations. We visited a large church at the edge of the city and when we entered there was so much history all round us, mosaic ceilings, oil paintings, beautiful statues and chapels for prayer. And as we explored this house of God, the orchestra of the church tuned their instruments. The pitched of Oboes and the Organ enveloped the experience. I kneeled to speak to God for the first time in a church in a very long time. It was releasing.  

After running around town, we hiked above Cortona to the Monastery where Saint Francis resided.  The hike was long and steep and painful at points as the sun beat down on our heads. But upon the arrival of the group at the gates we were all just speechless. As we turned the corner our eyes opened up to a sight that kept me at a stand still. It was peaceful, and serene and I felt God all around me. He was in the air and the smells of olive trees raced through me. Seeing the room in which he slept and feeling so humbled to it. Walking the paths the monks walk daily, and being silenced by the silence that is practiced at this place of faith everyday. I was dazed.

I am still dazed. 

1st Week and I am visiting Florence with good people. Good friends. So no entry for Saturday! But I miss you all too much for words. 

Sara, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you.

No comments: