Monday, June 30, 2008

2 days without posting and so much to talk about!

Saturday morning was when I took the leap into exploring Italy on my own.... well with a couple of friends. But it was a feat for me, trusting I will be okay in a country I am unfamiliar with was a bit nervous making for me. But I came out of it with some AMAZING memories.

We took the train to Florence which was about a 1 hour train ride and upon arrival were floored at the interesting new surroundings. Florence to be honest was not my kind of city in Italy. First of all it was extremely touristy, and English in my taste was spoken WAAAAYYY too much. 

Its interesting how you can tell the difference from an American and an Italian in Italy. I was a bit on the embarrassed side because of the crudeness of some of the Americans and their behavior around us. It was pretty ridiculous. However there were some nice encounters, like a group from UC Davis that was studying abroad and staying in Florence. Many hailed from the Bay so it was very comforting in that way. 

Our hostel was pretty amazing, if you ever need a hostel for cheap and in great condition check out Hostelworld.com. Its the shit! 

We pretty much wandered the city aimlessly, and hit up some great food places. Mango gelato for the first time since I got here and it was so darn delicious! hahaha Dessert was the trend for this trip, we went to a cafe called Hemingway, yes like Ernie himself. But it was absolutely amazing, they had crepes with liquer that were absolutely amazing and chocolates that were bittersweet and melt in your mouth, and milkshakes that had bursts of flavor! I will definitely be visiting again before this trip ends!

We planned on going dancing, but the scene that we headed over too was not crackin', the music was something of Night at the Roxbury and the men were something of the same sort! No go! besides I would much rather just walk the streets and explore. Which we did and it was great.

Minuses were random gross men making kissy faces and passes in Italian! GROSS! Italian men, Dory warned us were very forward, that was experience #1. Our waiter at the restaurant that we ate at followed one of my friends to the bathroom.... and was being very forward to her. I could have socked them in the face. 

I dunno, I guess the people are really growing on me here. I am happy that my video chat has been useful here, I spoke to a couple of peeps, including my family today and my Wes, which made me really happy! 9hours ahead so if any of you are on when I am and have video on your computers I am sooooo down!

I posted pictures so look at them! I'm going to steal pics from other folks too soon, because my camera died after Hemingway cafe in Florence! i would love to hear how you guys have been! I miss you!

I'll write about class tomorrow, because today was draining! But I love you guys!!



1 comment:

Richie said...

Props to those Italian men for being so...confident?

Anyway, I just looked through all your pics, and...
1) Dead snake, wow.
2) Arezzo looks cooool.
3) Your instructor looks so chill and laid back.
4) Florence graffiti looks dope. =D
5) Disdain for Americans is sometimes appalling, but at other times not surprising.
6) I kind of want to study abroad in Europe now instead of Australia...