Monday, June 23, 2008

Day Two and still so much to do!

Blessed.

 

I feel extremely blessed for the experience that has been placed before me.

 

Arrezo is beautiful. For 5 weeks I am blessed, to be living in a gorgeous Italian Villa, I am blessed to be surrounded by 17 remarkably diverse individuals from different parts of the US, with different backgrounds and interests in performance and theatre, I am blessed to bask under the Tuscan sun, I am blessed to see the stars in the clear night sky, I am blessed. 

 

Our view from our shuttered windows is the city. In the morning we see villas atop green hills, and the city of Arezzo, with medieval walls that separate the ancient architecture from the fancy Italian boutiques, restaurants and shops. Shingled roofs, lines of vineyards and windy streets; at night the lights brighten up the sky so that the horizon creates a grandiance that is absolutely breath taking. The horizon glows and the crisp dark blue sky looks like pinholes have been poked through it and right lights shine through them. The stars are miraculous.

 

The villa is enormous. I share a large room with my roommate who is 27 years old, but extremely friendly and thank goodness; extremely tidy. In the villa we eat in the Mensa, a large room where we all eat banquet style. The kitchen and maintenance help are Filipino OFW’s I’m sure. But they are well taken care of here, they are treated like family as the rest of the staff and faculty and us students are treated as well.

 

There is a library of books and a lounge with computers and comfy couches we can use as we wish, but what’s especially great is that we have wireless internet so we don’t need to use this room! Except for the amazing book collection, which I will definitely tap in on!

 

We have a game room called the Limonia where we are allowed to hang out, watch movies, play board games and drink. They allow us to be as loud as we want in this student’s quarters, and they know that in fact we will be drinking… we have a fridge to store alcohol especially. We have yet to utilize it, but we are watching Hook right now.

 

There is a courtyard where we sit and talk about life and what has brought us here, what we have in planned for our lives and how Italy is a way for each of us to clear our thoughts and learn about ourselves.

 

There is a rooftop that I have visited at every break, that is where the view is most amazing! I can’t help but take my time up there just so I can feel the rush of the view crash upon my senses.

 

We went to the city today and walked for 5 whole hours! Almost 6! And it was amazing, just seeing the people and the history right before my eyes. I have so much to tell you all about what I learned of the Politics of Arezzo, the hierarchies, the power of the church.

The architecture can tell so much.

The people are amazing, I was watching them and just in a weird awe. The women, all carry themselves like they are the most beautiful things that God put on this earth and the men, are just so burly, with slick hair and just hairy in general. Hahaha. They really do not like Americans, they make fun of them. There is one girl on the program, Arynn, who is straight out of the OC, rich kid, elitist, but strangely really chill, and I saw the mocking eyes and comments of the Italian passerbyers.

 

It was a little disheartening.

 

I had dessert and a lot of different drinks today, but I can’t wait to try more foods, however the food at the Villa is AMAZING a different pasta and veggies at every meal, I am going to be so healthy out here! Unless I eat more than my stomach says I can!

 

I’ve made kinships with so many people here already. It’s been really easy to, I have a respect for my fellow abroaders and I just feel so happy to know them. There are really good people on this program.

 

I’m trying to go to Barcelona to meet up with Kevin and Giselle! Is it going to happen!?! I hope so. I have so much more to tell you guys about and I’ll blog pics soon but for now this is what I have.

 

I want to leave you with something the director of the school told us today at our “community meeting”; about culture.

 

Culture.

 

When you are accustomed to one culture (most commonly among us students, the American culture) you allow that culture to define you. But to be exposed to different cultures that are outside of your normal, comfortable, scope, is to allow yourself to not have a culture define you but for you to find culture in yourself. He told us that one of our biggest goals is to discover what our own individual cultures truly is, or at least begin to understand this concept in terms of ourselves.

 

I hope that I can do that while I’m out here…

 

Day two of being here, and day one of really experiencing the city and tomorrow is the first day of classes. I am feeling anxious, nervous, happy and just ready.

 

More to come.

 

I miss and love you all!

 

Ciao for now.

2 comments:

laurene.joy said...

I loved your first blog! I really hope you do keep up with postings...your writing is beautiful and I can only imagine the growth and inspiration you'll be experiencing throughout this journey. Stay safe and adventurous. Love you!

Richie said...

Well...

This first entry made me want to study abroad. =D